Welcome to the Buying Legal Council's new Career page. Member and Friend organizations are welcome to post their job openings, individual job seekers are invited to post their profiles.
All others, please contact us to learn more.
New Career Opportunities
HEARST CORPORATION Legal Operations Manager
The Hearst Corporation Office of General Counsel(OGC) is a dynamic legal department which functions as a full‐service in‐house boutique law firm for all facets of the Hearst Corporation’s roughly 360 businesses. Hearst owns dozens of daily and weekly newspapers, hundreds of global consumer magazines, 30 broadcast and radio stations, ownership in leading cable networks, including ESPN, A&T and Lifetime. The Company also owns stakes in internet, mobile and market services companies such as Complex, Awesomeness TV, Buzzfeed and Kobalt. The fastest growing part of Hearst includes significant holdings in health care, automotive and financial services information companies, such as Fitch Ratings. Hearst also holds significant commercial real estate interests as well as forestry and solar operations and cattle and farming operations on ranches. Hearst has more than 15,000 employees, over a dozen offices internationally and is a fortune500 company by size on all metrics.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The OGC seeks a highly‐motivated team player to implement best‐in‐class management of our daily legal operations. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Operations and will serve as a key partner in managing the department's operational functions, include financial management, technology, human resources and professional development. The position ill assist in creating best in class systems, policies and processes required for maximum efficiency and alignment within the department and cross‐ functionally. The role will work collaboratively with other departments, including Finance, Technology and Human Resources. Position will require strong emphasis on project management, data analysis, and professional training. Candidates must have experience managing law firm pricing and billing practices. In addition, candidates should have experience in project management and/or staff training.
Willingness to participate in professional association forums to remain current in knowledgebase required.
Outside Counsel Program Management
- Manage outside counsel and other legal services vendor relationships.
- Support Hearst users of the Matter Management System by providing training and responding to inquiries. Maintaining user guides.
- Serve as co‐administrator of the Matter Management System; maintain system administrator guide.
- Manage rate review processes, providing internal and external benchmark analytics and recommended decisions.
- Manage alternative fee arrangement processes, including data analytics to determine appropriate price range, and coordination of selection processes.
- Analyze data and design dashboards and reports tracking efficiency and effectiveness indicators to facilitate resource allocation and other management decisions; develop and oversee Key Performance Indicators for monitoring and reporting of departmental performance. Assist in production of spend and related reports (monthly and ad‐hoc).
Human Resource Management
- Schedule and/or conduct staff training programs. Lead staff meetings.
- Partner with department Senior Technology Analyst to provide department‐wide training and develop support materials (user guides,quick guides, recorded tutorials) on legal applications.
- Coordinate recruiting and hiring for OGC staff and attorney positions; on‐boarding and off‐ boarding processes.
- Provide coaching and support to department in on‐going performance management and review processes.
- Maintain appropriate staff coverage levels and review assignments and scheduling of staff members.
- Serve as primary point person for all employee relations issues for staff. Maintain emergency contact lists.
- Coordinate with Human Resources on medical and disability leaves, performance improvement plans and disciplinary measures as needed.
Facilities and Office Services Management
- Serve as primary contact for the department with Property Management Office and troubleshoot all facilities issues.
- Work with Deputy General Counsels and Senior Director of Operations to manage physical office space/desk assignments.
- Manage library, file room and all document storage accounts.
- Manage all subscription service agreements, including Westlaw, PLI, Thomson Reuters, etc.
- Assist in planning of special events and holiday‐related responsibilities.
- Partner with department Senior Technology Analyst to manage equipment assignment and replacement with IT staff.
- Serve as Administrator on Hearst Compliance Hotline.
- Work with Deputy General Counsels and Senior Director of Operations on inputs for and management of OGC budget.
- Review budget variances with Accounting Department.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum 5 years professional services management experience in an analytical, data driven, and entrepreneurial environment. Experience in a corporate legal, law firm, big four accounting or other professional services environment required.
- Prior experience in law firm pricing analytics and billing practices required. In addition, candidates should have experience in project management (developing business requirements, managing RFPs, data migration) and/or staff training.
- Bachelor’s Degree with major coursework in business administration or management, finance, or human capital management.
- Relevant certification such as SHRM, CLM, PMP, CSSGB or similar preferred.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions; excellent business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Strong organizational skills and understanding of how to establish priorities and demonstrate flexibility as workloads fluctuate.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the presence to partner with all attorney professionals. Must also be able to maintain good interpersonal relations and communications with support staff and other peer managers, as well as proven aptitude to engage, influence and align internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written/verbal communications skills and good presentation/facilitation skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and advanced proficiency with Excel (v‐lookup, pivot tables, charts, and formulas). Comfortable with technology.
- Must be willing to work onsite in New York, NY. Occasional work travel may be required.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
Please click here for more information and to apply.
BANK OF AMERICA Sr. Procurement Specialist - Charlotte, NC or Jersey City, NJ
Job number: 18017112
Negotiates contracts utilizing best practices, assists the business owner in creating a SOW/SLA, providing clarity and addressing all Business requirements
Able to lead a team in the development of complex proposal documents and is proficient in the objective analysis of proposal responses, the identification on non-conforming items and the overall evaluation of potential service providers
Able to structure all elements of an RFP (technical, contractual, schedule and cost) in order to ensure that uniformed bids are received
Capable of defining and influencing the category strategy to achieve business goals and objectives
Identify and escalate risks and issues to the appropriate governance routines Analyze and interpret Business adherence through program scorecards in order to identify possible negative trends and issues
Quickly adapt to changes within the Procurement Program and be able to communicate and reinforce program changes with the FLU/Business through effective change management routines and processes
Work routinely with risk partners (Legal, Compliance, Ops, Info Sec, etc.) in negotiating deals and in managing outsourcing risk
Assist in providing documentation/evidence when responding to audit and/or regulatory inquiries
Consistently provides a high level of service by establishing and clearly communicating mutual expectations, developing an understanding of Business needs and demonstrating competency and consistency in meeting commitments
Builds broad-based business relationships and partnerships across the organization, skillfully influences peers and colleagues to promote and sell ideas, and proactively surfaces and resolves conflict with minimal noise
Proven ability to communicate, partner, and influence across a matrix organization
7 years’ experience sourcing for various Indirect Procurement categories
Self-starter, with capability of working autonomously across multiple procurement projects is essential
Strong contract negotiation skillset and experience
Sound commercial awareness and good analytical and research skills
Comfortable with Sourcing systems (ideally Ariba) spreadsheets, presentations and project management
Excellent communicator at all levels and able to build and manage relationships with business partners across various teams
Proactive, conscientious and high level of attention to detail
Legal procurement a plus but not required
Location: USA: Jersey City, NJ, 101 HUDSON ST (NJ2101) or Charlotte, NC, 201 N TRYON ST (NC1022),
Travel: Yes, 5% of the time
Line of Business: OFFICE OF CAO
Sub Line of Business: LOBAL CORPORATE SERVICES
Job Band: 5
Full / Part-time: Full time
Hours Per Week: 40
Shift: 1st shift
Please click here for more information and to apply.