Welcome to the Buying Legal Council's Career page. Member and Friend organizations are welcome to post their job openings, individual job seekers are invited to post their profiles.
All others, please contact us to learn more.
New Career Opportunities
HEARST CORPORATION Legal Operations Manager
The Hearst Corporation Office of General Counsel(OGC) is a dynamic legal department which functions as a full‐service in‐house boutique law firm for all facets of the Hearst Corporation’s roughly 360 businesses. Hearst owns dozens of daily and weekly newspapers, hundreds of global consumer magazines, 30 broadcast and radio stations, ownership in leading cable networks, including ESPN, A&T and Lifetime. The Company also owns stakes in internet, mobile and market services companies such as Complex, Awesomeness TV, Buzzfeed and Kobalt. The fastest growing part of Hearst includes significant holdings in health care, automotive and financial services information companies, such as Fitch Ratings. Hearst also holds significant commercial real estate interests as well as forestry and solar operations and cattle and farming operations on ranches. Hearst has more than 15,000 employees, over a dozen offices internationally and is a fortune500 company by size on all metrics.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The OGC seeks a highly‐motivated team player to implement best‐in‐class management of our daily legal operations. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Operations and will serve as a key partner in managing the department's operational functions, include financial management, technology, human resources and professional development. The position ill assist in creating best in class systems, policies and processes required for maximum efficiency and alignment within the department and cross‐ functionally. The role will work collaboratively with other departments, including Finance, Technology and Human Resources. Position will require strong emphasis on project management, data analysis, and professional training. Candidates must have experience managing law firm pricing and billing practices. In addition, candidates should have experience in project management and/or staff training.
Willingness to participate in professional association forums to remain current in knowledgebase required.
Outside Counsel Program Management
- Manage outside counsel and other legal services vendor relationships.
- Support Hearst users of the Matter Management System by providing training and responding to inquiries. Maintaining user guides.
- Serve as co‐administrator of the Matter Management System; maintain system administrator guide.
- Manage rate review processes, providing internal and external benchmark analytics and recommended decisions.
- Manage alternative fee arrangement processes, including data analytics to determine appropriate price range, and coordination of selection processes.
- Analyze data and design dashboards and reports tracking efficiency and effectiveness indicators to facilitate resource allocation and other management decisions; develop and oversee Key Performance Indicators for monitoring and reporting of departmental performance. Assist in production of spend and related reports (monthly and ad‐hoc).
Human Resource Management
- Schedule and/or conduct staff training programs. Lead staff meetings.
- Partner with department Senior Technology Analyst to provide department‐wide training and develop support materials (user guides,quick guides, recorded tutorials) on legal applications.
- Coordinate recruiting and hiring for OGC staff and attorney positions; on‐boarding and off‐ boarding processes.
- Provide coaching and support to department in on‐going performance management and review processes.
- Maintain appropriate staff coverage levels and review assignments and scheduling of staff members.
- Serve as primary point person for all employee relations issues for staff. Maintain emergency contact lists.
- Coordinate with Human Resources on medical and disability leaves, performance improvement plans and disciplinary measures as needed.
Facilities and Office Services Management
- Serve as primary contact for the department with Property Management Office and troubleshoot all facilities issues.
- Work with Deputy General Counsels and Senior Director of Operations to manage physical office space/desk assignments.
- Manage library, file room and all document storage accounts.
- Manage all subscription service agreements, including Westlaw, PLI, Thomson Reuters, etc.
- Assist in planning of special events and holiday‐related responsibilities.
- Partner with department Senior Technology Analyst to manage equipment assignment and replacement with IT staff.
- Serve as Administrator on Hearst Compliance Hotline.
- Work with Deputy General Counsels and Senior Director of Operations on inputs for and management of OGC budget.
- Review budget variances with Accounting Department.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum 5 years professional services management experience in an analytical, data driven, and entrepreneurial environment. Experience in a corporate legal, law firm, big four accounting or other professional services environment required.
- Prior experience in law firm pricing analytics and billing practices required. In addition, candidates should have experience in project management (developing business requirements, managing RFPs, data migration) and/or staff training.
- Bachelor’s Degree with major coursework in business administration or management, finance, or human capital management.
- Relevant certification such as SHRM, CLM, PMP, CSSGB or similar preferred.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions; excellent business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Strong organizational skills and understanding of how to establish priorities and demonstrate flexibility as workloads fluctuate.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the presence to partner with all attorney professionals. Must also be able to maintain good interpersonal relations and communications with support staff and other peer managers, as well as proven aptitude to engage, influence and align internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written/verbal communications skills and good presentation/facilitation skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and advanced proficiency with Excel (v‐lookup, pivot tables, charts, and formulas). Comfortable with technology.
- Must be willing to work onsite in New York, NY. Occasional work travel may be required.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
Please click here for more information and to apply.
DENTONS Global Strategic Pricing Manager
The Firm is currently recruiting for a Global Strategic Pricing Manager. This position will play a critical role in
advancing the Global Strategic Pricing team’s responsibilities and will contribute significantly towards the Firm's
overall growth and service delivery objectives. The Global Strategic Pricing Manager will report to the Director,
Strategic Initiatives (Global) and supports a variety of global pricing, profitability and client service initiatives.
- Development of global pricing models, datasets and policy guidelines (e.g., profitability metrics, price escalation thresholds, warehouse of pricing information, etc.)
- Work with, and deliver excellent client service to, a variety of key stakeholders to support the development of profitable pricing solutions in response to client RFPs and informal pricing requests
- Support global pricing data integration and project management
- Perform sophisticated analysis and predictive price and profitability modeling
- Provide leadership in the development and evaluation of alternative fee arrangements, with appropriate consideration of quantitative and qualitative criteria
- Ensure fee proposals are consistent with the Firm's global strategic goals and appropriately capture value
- Deliver excellent customer service in response to client, lawyer, professional and business services requests
- Develop and proliferate best practices, tools, templates, and reference materials
- Complete post mortem assessments and recommend process improvements as appropriate
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field. MBA and/or Law Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of commercial or financial experience with demonstrated growth in scope of responsibilities, ideally within a consulting, professional services or law firm environment
- Minimum of 3 years of specific strategic financial, pricing analysis, reporting and/or project management experience in a law firm or a professional services firm
- Recognized change and project management experience including in-depth understanding of data analysis, financial planning, pricing and process improvement.
- Financial or commercial experience within a comparable professional services or management consulting environment
- Preferred experience:
o Quantitative-focused roles
o In-house legal department, procurement and/or consulting background
- Strong commercial / business acumen, with the ability to understand the larger context surrounding pricing approaches and translate those into a body of knowledge that helps shape the Firm's pricing strategy in the US and globally
- Advanced level of expertise in financial modeling and spreadsheet functionality is required. Candidate must be skilled in data interrogation and data visualization in order present findings to firm management based on analyses.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects and complete work within given time constraints.
- Detail oriented, be able to exercise sound judgment and possess the confidence and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with the Firm’s senior management, lawyers, professionals and business staff
- Self-motivated person with a positive and professional attitude, with a progressive, consistent work history and excellent references
- Possess ability to build relationships and foster a collaborative environment with all stakeholders
- Able to recommend best practices to improve processes and procedures
- Communicate in a manner that demonstrates experience and a grasp of the strategic intent of a subject matter
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
Affirmative Action Employer.
Pursuant to local ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please click here for more information and to apply.
JUST FILLED: JOHNSON & JOHNSON Legal Services Sourcing Manager
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is currently recruiting for a Legal Services Sourcing Manager. This position will be located in New Brunswick, NJ.
Caring for the world, one person at a time inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. We embrace research and science – bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. We have more than 275 operating companies in more than 60 countries, with more than 128,700 employees. Our worldwide headquarters is located in New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Legal Services Sourcing Manager role is part of the Corporate Services Procurement team providing effective management of J&J Legal Services spend in alignment with J&J Law Department priorities and the Legal Services Global Procurement category strategy for matters requiring the use of outside counsel law firms and other legal services providers. The Legal Services Sourcing Manager will be responsible for supporting approximately $750 million in spend for Johnson & Johnson Companies. This spend is medium to highly complex in nature and requires a collaboration with key stakeholders within the J&J Law Department to execute. This individual will identify, develop and direct the implementation of Procurement goals and strategy. Deliver against targets for financial performance, quality, and service and compliance adherence. It will provide Global and Regional Leadership for developing end-to-end category leadership such as global category strategy alignment, maintaining key relationships within the business and managing key supplier relationships. The position must shape, connect and lead resources to deliver on key projects.
The Legal Services Sourcing Manager will be:
- Developing, informing, and implementing the Legal Services global category strategy that will effectively achieve the business goals and objectives of the business partners and deliver the maximum value for J&J, including quality, reliability, innovation and cost based on deep subject matter expertise and an informal understanding of industry/market dynamics
- Collaborate with business partners in creating engagement approaches, providing clarity and addressing all business requirements
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects with multiple/various stakeholders
- Negotiates complex rate structures (e.g., billable rates, discounts) and Alternative Fee Arrangements (AFAs) utilizing best practices and market benchmark data
- Experience in the execution of sourcing events end to end (technical, contractual, schedule and cost) and the overall evaluation of potential service providers, including price negotiations, contract review and approval.
- Ability to Conduct various ad hoc analyses and use information to create/improve processes, gain cost savings, interpret business adherence to established guidelines through program dashboards, and other stated goals to identify possible negative trends and issues
- Auditing and analysis of legal invoices to ensure that invoices adhere to negotiated terms, and addressing discrepancies with law firms
- Quickly adapt to changes within the Procurement Operating Model and the ability to communicate and reinforce these changes with the business through effective change management processes
- Builds broad-based business relationships and partnerships across the organization, skillfully influences business partners, internal stakeholders (Legal, Contracting, Information Technology, etc.), peers and colleagues to promote ideas, and proactively identifies, resolves and/or escalates business issues
- Consistently provides a high level of service by establishing and clearly communicating mutual expectations, developing an understanding of business needs and demonstrating competency and consistency in meeting commitments
- Proven ability to communicate, partner, and influence across a matrix organization
- Drive for innovative solutions to continuously improve the organization.
- Leadership of the Marketing and Business Services Supplier Diversity efforts, reporting to the Office of Supplier Diversity
- Develop and execute Procurement strategies that are aligned with the business needs
- Manage supplier relationships, communicate changes to the global category strategy, execute joint collaborative initiatives, and monitor supplier contract negotiations
- Ensure execution of global category strategies to include: sourcing strategy execution, negotiations, contract implementation and performance against established targets
- Facilitate the development, implementation, and maintenance of processes, policies, guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures, and Business Operating Principles
- Lead team meetings and provide updates to Business Services and Global Procurement Leadership
- Manage & prioritize portfolio of Procurement segment (Pharm, MD&D and/or Consumer) specific initiatives
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required in Business, Operations, Economics, Finance, Procurement or Supply Chain. MBA or JD Preferred
- A minimum of 8 years of business experience, with a minimum of 3 years of procurement experience is required. Legal procurement experience is a plus.
- Broad-based understanding of business operations and practices and core Procurement areas of focus (Spend Management: Category Management and Supplier Management).
- Self-starter, capable of working autonomously across multiple procurement projects is essential
- Strong negotiation skills and experience
- Leadership, communication, influencing, collaboration skills are required
- Project management skills and the ability to prioritize requests, and propose effective cost/ customer service alternatives when necessary
- Ability to show judgment in developing new approaches and resolving issues
- Customer Orientation (building and maintaining strong relationships with J&J Management)
- Sound business acumen and awareness, with strong analytical and research skills
- Comfortable with Sourcing systems (i.e.. Ariba), spreadsheets, presentations
- Strong verbal and written communication skill
- Ability to continuously improve the organization
- People Management Experience: Yes
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick
Organization: Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (6090)
Job Function: Procurement
Requisition ID: 1142180510
JUST FILLED: GSK Category Manager - Legal
We have a fantastic opportunity available to join our Legal Services Procurement team. This function within GSK is widely recognised throughout the industry as being at the forefront of legal services procurement. This team’s work has been the subject of a Harvard Business School case study, numerous legal trade articles as well as earned numerous awards from Procurement Leaders and the Buying Legal Council.
The role will be responsible for leading the creation, execution and management of comprehensive global sourcing strategies including;
- Leveraging deep category and market expertise
- Operating in a truly global manner
- Utilising GSK and GSK Procurement policies, procedures, processes, systems and methodologies
- Engaging and building strategic relationships with key senior stakeholders and business partners in GSK
- Understanding the business requirements of key stakeholders and business partners and positioning the Procurement value proposition
- Delivering the needs of key stakeholders and business partners through creation and execution of global sourcing strategies
- Identifying and delivering business benefits aligned to assurance of supply, quality, service, cost and innovation
- Ensuring financial benefit delivered is recognized by affected stakeholder communities and Finance groups to allow benefit capture and transparent decision making on how benefits are allocated by the business units, in line with the Spend Management Framework
- Leading, developing and managing the supply base, globally, for the in scope spend categories
- Building and leading effective strategic relationships with key suppliers
- Driving sustainable value for GSK from key supplier relationships
Strategy creation & execution
- Create comprehensive global sourcing strategy for spend categories in scope of responsibility, operating with a truly global and strategic mindset and in close collaboration with the Category Leader to ensure full alignment with global strategies
- Have a clear understanding of how global strategies affect local markets and the fit with regional strategy. Build an education & communication process for in-country Procurement leads and business units
- Be the global expert in the spend categories within scope of responsibility
- Deliver global benefits, quality, service, cost and innovation.
- Create and deliver effective global budgets (Plans of Purchase) agreed with key stakeholders and Finance in accordance with the Spend Management Framework and fully aligned with global budgets
Business partnering & stakeholder management in GSK
- Influence key regional stakeholders and business partners to support strategy development, endorse recommended strategies, support execution and agree how benefit delivery will be budgeted
External supplier relationships
- Build strategic relationships with key suppliers at a senior level and lead processes to ensure value is driven from these relationships. Ensure regional considerations are accounted for in global supplier relationships. Leverage the Business Review Meeting process to drive the relationship.
- Negotiate, create, execute and manage effective global contracts with suppliers (where required) that will allow GSK to maximize opportunity globally. Ensure regional considerations are taken into account in global supplier negotiations and contracts
- Lead regional supply base reviews and global strategy reviews.
- Develop and implement effective, partnership, ways of working within the category management structure across geographical regions to ensure a cohesive regional approach to regional categories, aligned globally where required
- Initiate and lead processes to enable regional and local Procurement representatives to input regional and local business requirements and market dynamic information
- Ensure appropriate communication strategy is in place and in use within the relevant Procurement and business customer networks
- Qualified to minimum Degree level within appropriate subject
- Experienced Procurement Manager, ideally within a Legal or Professional/Consulting Services Category
- Strong familiarity in sourcing complex human labour based services
- Able to conduct reverse auctions
- SAP system knowledge
- CIPS or further qualification