Welcome to the Buying Legal Council's Career page. Member and Friend organizations are welcome to post their job openings, individual job seekers are invited to post their profiles.
All others, please contact us to learn more.
NEW CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
NEW: HEARST - Operations ManagerThe Hearst Corporation Office of General Counsel (OGC) functions as a full-service in-house boutique law firm for all facets of the Hearst Corporation’s roughly 360 businesses. Hearst owns dozens of daily and weekly newspapers, hundreds of global consumer magazines, 30 broadcast and radio stations, and has ownership stakes in leading cable networks, including ESPN, A&T and Lifetime. The fastest growing part of Hearst includes significant holdings in health care, automotive and financial services information companies, such as Fitch Ratings. Hearst also holds significant commercial real estate interests as well as forestry and solar operations and cattle and farming operations on ranches. Hearst has more than 15,000 employees, over a dozen offices internationally and is a Fortune 500 company by size on all metrics.
Key Job Responsibilities
The OGC seeks a highly-motivated team player to implement best-in-class management of our daily legal operations. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Operations and will serve as a key partner in managing the department's operational functions. The position will offer growth and experience-broadening opportunities to create best in class systems, policies and processes required for maximum efficiency and alignment within the department and cross-functionally. The role will work collaboratively with Hearst businesses and other support departments. Candidates must have experience managing law firm pricing and billing practices. Willingness to participate in professional association forums to remain current in knowledge base required. Experience managing Request for Proposal (RFP) processes preferred.
Outside Counsel Program Management
- Manage outside counsel and other legal services supplier relationships.
- Support Hearst users of the Matter Management System by providing training and responding to inquiries. Maintain legal, business and finance user guides and supplier-facing rate and billing policies/guidelines.
- Administer the Matter Management System. Maintain system administrator guide.
- Partner with finance colleagues to ensure bills are paid in a timely manner and against the correct budgets.
- Manage rate review processes, providing internal and external benchmark analytics and recommendations.
- Provide guidance to attorneys and manage legal services procurement processes to coordinate selection processes, including RFPs, and to determine appropriate price range.
- Generate invoice aging, accrual and other spend reports, as well as annual auditor report.
- Analyze data and design dashboards and reports tracking efficiency and effectiveness indicators to facilitate resource allocation and other management decisions; develop and oversee Key Performance Indicators for monitoring and reporting of departmental performance.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Review and maintain optimal cost efficiency for department services such as Verizon mobile, Iron Mountain and Thomson Reuters’ subscription services.
- Contribute to additional projects as assigned.
- Minimum 4-5 years professional services management experience in an analytical, data driven, and entrepreneurial environment. Experience in a corporate legal, big four accounting or another professional services environment required.
- Prior experience in law firm pricing analytics and billing practices in a corporate legal setting, or vendor serving corporate legal clients, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required with major course work in business administration or management, finance, or operations preferred.
- Active participation in Buying Legal Council, CLOC or similar professional development organization preferred.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions; excellent business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Strong organizational skills and understanding of how to establish priorities and demonstrate flexibility as workloads fluctuate.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the presence to partner with attorney professionals. Must also be able to maintain good interpersonal relations and communications with support staff and other peer managers; proven aptitude to engage, influence and align internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong written/verbal communications skills and good presentation/facilitation skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and advanced proficiency with Excel (v-lookup, pivot tables, charts, and formulas) required. Comfortable with technology.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online. Questions may be directed to internal recruiter Earl Ferguson at email@example.com.
- Must be willing to work onsite in New York, NY. Occasional work travel may be required.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
GOLDBERG SEGALLA Legal Budgeting and Pricing ManagerThe Goldberg Segalla Legal Budgeting and Pricing Manager role is accountable for enhancing the firm’s ability to:
This position will provide firm-wide support for all practice groups.
- Create and manage matter and portfolio budgets
- Develop and implement pricing strategies with a focus on alternative fee arrangements
- Deliver litigated cases efficiently and cost effectively via the use of legal project
management techniques and analytics.
Budgeting and Pricing
- Provide advice and counsel to attorneys in connection with the development, evaluation,
- and execution of task-based matter budgets and alternative fee arrangements.
- Conduct budget variance and other analyses to monitor the performance of in-flight
- matters. Work with firm leadership to develop and implement strategies to enhance
- service delivery.
- Partner with practice group leaders to design, develop and implement customized
- budgeting and pricing solutions that meet our clients’ specific business needs.
Case Analysis and Operational Efficiency
- Conduct and present detailed analyses of historical billing data. Identify and implement
- solutions that leverages various data sources to improve the firm’s matter planning and
- budgeting operations.
- Serve as the lead product manager for the firm’s matter budgeting, monitoring and
- reporting platforms. Duties to include, but not limited to: roadmap development,
- requirements gathering, workflow redesign, testing, user training and user adoption.
- Work with client relationship partners and other firm leaders to effectively use matter
- budget analytics to enhance client stewardship meetings and other client interactions.
LOCATION: Princeton, NJ or New York, NY or Philadelphia, PA
- 7+ years of experience in pricing, budgeting, estimating, project management, and financial analysis for law firms or other professional services organizations.
- 5+ years of experience in developing and managing task based litigation budgets.
- Experience with commercial property and casualty insurance matters is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in developing and managing alternative fee arrangements (e.g. flat fee, capped fee, success fee, etc.) for professional services firms is required. Significant law firm experience is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience using industry standard matter planning, budgeting, pricing and reporting software platforms at a law firm or other professional services firm is preferred.
- Recent experience in designing and analyzing business intelligence reports is required.
- Knowledge of key law firm performance metrics is preferred.
- Recent experience in redesigning and implementing new budgeting and/or pricing processes is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills with proven abilities in conducting the following analyses is required: budget variance, trending, outlier.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance or relevant field is required. A post graduate degree in the above fields is preferred.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills are required.
- Advanced executive presentation skills.
- Occasional travel will be required.
- Ability to constantly display Goldberg Segalla’s values.
Click here to apply.