Welcome to the Buying Legal® Council's Career page. Member and Friend organizations are welcome to post their job openings, individual job seekers are invited to post their profiles.
All others, please contact us to learn more.
NEW CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
NEW: XCEL ENERGY - Outside Legal Services Manager
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for. Position Summary
Responsible for driving outside counsel utilization strategy by providing oversight, negotiation, and analysis related to hiring third party legal services providers. Ensure company pays competitive rates and right sizes legal services obtained through third party providers. Responsible for implementing best practices around retaining outside counsel, experts, and any other vendor providing services to the Legal department. Negotiates rates and arrangements, enforces requirements, and conducts requests for proposals (RFPs). Leads team responsible for related billing.
- Participates in decision making process to obtain third party vendors for legal services. This includes front end negotiations, ensuring proper use of third party resources, invoice review and Outside Counsel Requirement enforcement. Works with internal and external partners to resolve billing disputes and issues.
- Supervise and direct Legal Billing Coordinators, ensuring effective workload balancing, formulating and documenting processes and procedures that promote efficient and quality billing support within Legal.
- Prepare RFPs and negotiate contracts with all legal service providers. Develop comparison of costs and performance. Negotiate caps and volume discounts. Ensure that projects undertaken by all vendors are properly organized to be appropriate and cost-effective, ongoing monitoring of projects. Maintain project status reports.
- Utilize department technology to inform staffing decision for matter based on matter risk and complexity level. Use reporting to show department is optimizing use of external legal service providers commensurate to risk and complexity profiles of our matters.
- Support General Counsel's efforts of continuous improvement through leading special projects, identifying process improvements that realize cost or time savings, and simplifying existing processes.
Location: MN - Minneapolis
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline.
- Law degree preferred.
- Minimum five years related experience.
- Experience evaluating and negotiating outsourced legal services.
- Proven ability to influence without direct authority and build positive relationships with key external and internal stakeholders.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience creating documented standards, processes and workflows.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Prefer experience with legal technology, such as ebilling and matter management systems.
- Prior leadership, talent management, and billing experience preferred.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online.
NEW: BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO - Global Sourcing Manager, Professional Services
Responsible for the execution of global category “Sourcing to Contract” specifically:
- Source to contract for Legal Services (sourcing plan, tender, negotiate and contract)
- Spend and compliance reporting
- Commercial risk management
- Contract Management
- Responsible for execution of sourcing strategies
- Lead global and geographic sourcing plans and execution - liaise with Geographic Head of Procurement and Procurement Business Managers to align and validate plans with end market
- Lead global and geographic contract negotiations
- Lead global and geographic supplier management and drive geographic continuous improvement initiatives with suppliers
- Support local sourcing activities, where required
- To ensure the category sourcing and contract (s) meet the business requirements through the execution of the strategic sourcing process.
- To apply global standards, policies, standards and platforms and to deliver robust terms and conditions that manages BAT’s service delivery and commercial risk.
- To drive and facilitate “source to contract” for specific categories. This includes the resolution of any contracts related issues and may include one-off spend items.
- To ensure contracts are completed for all relevant agreements and that SLA’s (Service Level Agreements) have been agreed with the relevant business owner.
- To manage negotiation and supplier selection within the framework of the category strategies and sourcing strategies.
- To apply the agreed global policies, standards and platforms.
- To capture and report on compliance using the agreed compliance platform and escalate through relevant route
- Provide forecasts on prices and market changes as an input into planning where appropriate.
- Provide information on negotiation results (all specs/grades, clear duration, validity for orders or deliveries) in a timely manner to the Category Managers.
- To own commercial supply base management building strong internal and external business relationships to ensure the delivery of the category goals.
- To facilitate the creation of supplier SLA’s and performance check-points. Manage and resolve contractual performance issues and escalate where required.
- To identify new products and services that may impact on sourcing execution and escalate to the Category Manager.
- To review and update sourcing plans on a periodic basis in alignment with the release of new updated category strategies.
Experience & Knowledge
- Excellent experience developing and executing Legal Services strategies.
- Experienced procurement professional with extensive experience of delivering change whilst still acting in a collaborative and positive way.
- A depth experience working in Professional Services category, specifically Legal Services.
- Comfortable interacting with and influencing senior leadership up to Board Level.
- Experience in Procurement Transformation.
- Detailed knowledge of supply market, supplier capabilities and competitor activity, and expected trends at a geographic / global level.
- Proven capability of applying supplier management techniques to deliver added value benefits in addition to contracted benefits.
- Experience in successful development of complex, multi-country contracts and agreements.
- Detailed understanding of financial evaluation and interpretation of supplier’s records and their key cost and business drivers.
- Full understanding of the category total cost model, cost drivers and all factors needed to ensure a robust agreement for BAT (including specification and testing requirements).
- Experience in managing complex global projects and programmes to improve performance and deliver service.
- Sound knowledge of corporate regulations and legislation to ensure the creation of effective group contracts.
- Experience of sourcing at an above market / geographic level for a period of 5 years minimum.
- Understands the dynamics of sourcing management at a global level.
- Uses a consultative approach to Procurement activities, capable of managing resistance.
- High level of commercial awareness.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven negotiation skills and influencing skills: able to influence business partners and suppliers as well as the ability to be assertive if required to ensure compliance to contract.
- Strong numerical ability.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective partnerships working across geographic boundaries.
- A focus on service delivery and savings.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online.
GOLDBERG SEGALLA Legal Budgeting and Pricing ManagerThe Goldberg Segalla Legal Budgeting and Pricing Manager role is accountable for enhancing the firm’s ability to:
This position will provide firm-wide support for all practice groups.
- Create and manage matter and portfolio budgets
- Develop and implement pricing strategies with a focus on alternative fee arrangements
- Deliver litigated cases efficiently and cost effectively via the use of legal project
management techniques and analytics.
Budgeting and Pricing
- Provide advice and counsel to attorneys in connection with the development, evaluation,
- and execution of task-based matter budgets and alternative fee arrangements.
- Conduct budget variance and other analyses to monitor the performance of in-flight
- matters. Work with firm leadership to develop and implement strategies to enhance
- service delivery.
- Partner with practice group leaders to design, develop and implement customized
- budgeting and pricing solutions that meet our clients’ specific business needs.
Case Analysis and Operational Efficiency
- Conduct and present detailed analyses of historical billing data. Identify and implement
- solutions that leverages various data sources to improve the firm’s matter planning and
- budgeting operations.
- Serve as the lead product manager for the firm’s matter budgeting, monitoring and
- reporting platforms. Duties to include, but not limited to: roadmap development,
- requirements gathering, workflow redesign, testing, user training and user adoption.
- Work with client relationship partners and other firm leaders to effectively use matter
- budget analytics to enhance client stewardship meetings and other client interactions.
LOCATION: Princeton, NJ or New York, NY or Philadelphia, PA
- 7+ years of experience in pricing, budgeting, estimating, project management, and financial analysis for law firms or other professional services organizations.
- 5+ years of experience in developing and managing task based litigation budgets.
- Experience with commercial property and casualty insurance matters is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in developing and managing alternative fee arrangements (e.g. flat fee, capped fee, success fee, etc.) for professional services firms is required. Significant law firm experience is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience using industry standard matter planning, budgeting, pricing and reporting software platforms at a law firm or other professional services firm is preferred.
- Recent experience in designing and analyzing business intelligence reports is required.
- Knowledge of key law firm performance metrics is preferred.
- Recent experience in redesigning and implementing new budgeting and/or pricing processes is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills with proven abilities in conducting the following analyses is required: budget variance, trending, outlier.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance or relevant field is required. A post graduate degree in the above fields is preferred.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills are required.
- Advanced executive presentation skills.
- Occasional travel will be required.
- Ability to constantly display Goldberg Segalla’s values.
Click here to apply.