TEN STEPS TO SUCCESS
Legal Procurement is often referred to as “the last frontier” for procurement as legal services used to be excused from in-depth cost analyses and professional management exercised in all other parts of the organization.Today, legal is no longer exempt. Best practices for buying legal services are applied.
In organizations with very large legal spend procurement now works with in-house counsel and legal operations and supports them in the areas of strategic sourcing and supplier management.
Given the complexity of the category and the relative newness of the topic, even seasoned procurement professionals need the right tools and information to get up to speed and quickly become successful and productive in the legal category.
In organizations where overall legal spend is not large enough to necessitate bringing legal procurement specialists, in-house counsel and legal operations professionals are advised to use procurement best practices for buying legal services.
START THE RIGHT WAY
How you handle the first 100+ days in the legal category will be crucial for your success as it sets the tone for building the necessary trust with your colleagues as well as the providers of legal services.
The Buying Legal® Council will be your most critical companion and help you get started, build better relationships and learn how to earn your colleagues' trust, ensure that you become indispensable, are able to drive change and impact, get more value and better service from the law firms and legal services providers etc.
You are also in the right place if you need to learn how to best work with legal procurement and be a useful resource for your clients. Understand what procurement values, what their challenges are, and what keeps them up at night. You will be a better provider and are more likely to become a valued partner.
Follow our ten steps to a successful start in and with legal procurement:
- Learn about the differences and similarities between legal procurement and legal operations and how the two can work together.
- Download our Legal Spend Management Primer. Benchmark yourself against the different levels of spend under management and explore different legal spend management initiatives.
- Read the Harvard Business School case study on GlaxoSmithKline's approach to buying legal services. The pharma company's approach is considered the pioneer in legal procurement.
- If you are a buyer legal services, get your copy of the LEGAL PROCUREMENT HANDBOOK. If you sell legal, alternative, ancillary legal services or legal tech, also get the book WINNING PROPOSALS.
- Become a Member (if you are a buyer) or a Friend (if you are a seller) and get your copy of our Market Intelligence Report Legal Services.
- Learn about the Annual Cadence for Legal Procurement (when should you do what?)
- Read our "Getting Started" Cheat Sheets (after you log in)
- Watch the "Getting Started" videos (after you log in)
- Download our Templates
- Learn about legal concepts in our "mini law school": Watch our Legal Lessons
And then ... get CERTIFIED! Learn about our Certificate Legal Procurement Fundamentals.
Buying Legal Council podcast with CIPS (The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply) on buying legal services